As you may already know, a roof is one of the most important parts of your home. A well maintained roof can last for decades, but if it's not properly maintained, you could end up with a leak.
Benefits of Roof Maintenance
Roof maintenance is a great way to keep your roof in good shape year-round. Here are just a few of the benefits of roof maintenance:
- Roof maintenance prevents future problems: Maintaining the roof will help prevent damage to your house or even collapse of your roof. It also prevents water penetration into the walls, which can lead to mold growth and other issues down the road.
- Roof maintenance maximizes the life of your roof: Roof maintenance is a great way to make sure your roof stays in good condition and lasts as long as possible. Regularly inspect the underside of your roof for damage or leaks, especially when it rains. Replace any damaged shingles immediately and patch any holes that are large enough to allow water into your home. In addition, consider having a professional complete a thorough inspection at least once per year. This will help ensure that any problems with the roof have been found before they become too serious to fix yourself.
- Roof maintenance can help you save money on repair and prevent the need for replacement: There are several methods to keep a roof in good condition, but none is more important than regular cleaning. If you neglect your roof, it will eventually be time to replace it or repair it at an expense that can easily exceed its initial purchase price.
- Roof maintenance gives you peace of mind: Knowing that your roof is in good condition and that you don’t need to spend a lot of money on a replacement due to poor maintenance, will give you the peace of mind you need to have a good night's sleep.
What is roof maintenance?
- Roof debris removalDebris includes leaves, twigs, and even trash that carries in the wind. To remove them, you should use a soft broom that won't be too aggressive, or a leaf blower.
- Roof mold removalMold is usually the result of algae growth. To remove it from your roof, you can use a spray on a solution of chlorine bleach and water.
- Roof gutter cleaningIt is important to perform this cleaning at least twice a year. All debris that accumulate inside the gutters should be removed with a gutter scoop.
- Roof general inspection and repairThe condition of the roof should be monitored periodically, both by walking on it and by checking the humidity seen inside the house. If you have doubts about the condition of the roof, a good option is to call a professional, who will advise you on the best repair option.
The Essential Roof Maintenance Checklist
- Check your shingles regularly
- Look for leaks in your attic & ceilings
- Wash your roof and remove debris and mold
- Clean your gutters
- Check and patch up your chimney
- Control the sealing of your skylights
- Get a professional roof inspection
Kind regards from the Moriarty Roofing Family.